How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Psalm 119:103

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What is it like to be Grammy?


The Lord has blessed me with some exciting experiences lately.  I had the complete joy of being there to help coach my daughter along during the delivery of my first grandbaby.  I had the extreme privilege of watching, through tears, as the doctor pulled little Izzee up and showed her to us for the very first time.  No words can describe the very first time you lay eyes on your grandchild.
I have since been asked by several people what it is to be a grandma or Grammy as I’m called.  I always tell them it is completely different than being a mom.
One day my Pastor asked me that very question.  I gave him my usual answer, but he kept pressing me; asking what is it that makes it so different.  I answered that we are older now then when we raised our children and more relaxed, realizing what it is that is most important.  But, still in my heart I knew that was still not the whole answer, but I just couldn’t find the words to express the feeling.
Later that very day as I sat rocking on the front porch, holding my beautiful granddaughter in my lap, and thanking the Lord for blessing me beyond measure.  I spoke these quite words in my heart to the Lord, “Looking into this beautiful face Lord must be the closest thing on earth to seeing Your beautiful face.  The pure beauty, the pure peace and joy, pure happiness and wholeness, the pure relaxation and rest that comes over my body can only be a sliver of what it must be like to be completely in Your presence, looking into Your face.”
Oh, how I long for the day to see Jesus face to face.  But, until then, I’ll keep looking into the face of my grandbaby, and maybe someday grandbabies and praising God from whom all blessings flow, to catch that small sliver of what it might be like to be completely in His presence.
Isn’t that what worship is all about?  Finding what it is that brings you closest to the presence of God.  We can worship through serving God in every aspect of our lives, and we can worship God through acknowledging and appreciating every blessing He bestows on us.
I pray that today you see and acknowledge the blessing in your life, that God has given you to bring you into a closer deeper relationship with Him.  When you do see it, let me know.  I would love to praise Him with you.
Blessings!
Kandee

No comments:

Post a Comment